Broccoli, cauliflower and peppers mixed with cheese and bacon, a delicious and easy side dish that can be made quickly with "cheats". A great dish for your holiday table too!
|Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad|
I call this one of my "cheater" recipes. I have quite a few of these that I plan to share. What defines a "cheater" recipe?
It is a recipe that when I am short on time or energy I use subsitutions rather than making it as I normally would. Sometimes a bad day at work calls for substitutions to get dinner on the table. A really bad day at work means if not for shortcuts dinner wouldn't make it to the table at all. I know it is a terrible thing for a food blogger to admit too. I think all savvy cooks have a little cheat sheet stored in their brain to pull out "in case of emergency" though. Shortcuts and substitutions are much better than take out, don't you agree?
So how is this a "cheater" recipe? Normally I would cook the bacon, shred the cheese and cut fresh heads of broccoli and cauliflower for the florets. In this instance, I used bacon bits (real bacon bits, not the crunchy imitation flavored ones) in place of the cooked crumbled bacon, bagged shredded cheese, and the precut broccoli and cauliflower florets from the fresh produce section. Using these time saving tricks gets this salad made in a flash. Great for weeknight dinner or when making a ton of food for a holiday or special occasion meal.
Do you use subs when you have a time or energy crisis? Will you make this as a cheater or go for the do it all yourself version?
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
For the Salad:
5 Cups Broccoli Florets
4 Cups Cauliflower Florets
1 Yellow Bell Pepper – Cut into small strips
1 Orange Bell Pepper – Cut into small strips
1 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Real Bacon Bits
For the Dressing:
1 Cup Olive Oil or Regular Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Diced or Grated Onion
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Mix broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and baking bits. Add dressing and toss until all vegetables are covered in dressing. Add grated cheese just before serving and toss to mix.
©Christy’s Cooking Creations. Please do not use my images without prior consent. Please link back to this post even if recreating and posting this recipe in your own words.
I make 95% of my recipes completely homemade. Sometimes (the other 5%) I just need a break. There is NOTHING wrong with having some "cheater" recipes in your recipe arsenal:)ReplyDelete
Thank you Adrian! Ninety-five percent is awesome! "Cheaters" do come in handy though! Thanks for stopping by!Delete
This recipe sounds delicious. I don't see anything wrong with "cheater". Sometime we have to do what we have to do.ReplyDelete
Thanks Dawn for your kind words! I'm hopping over now to see what kind of deliciousness you have been up to! Your recipes always look so yummy!Delete
Right now my cheater meals involve me picking up the phone or heading to a restaurant! I know that when I have more people to feed one day (as in not just me) I will definitely result to cheater meals! Looks good!ReplyDelete
Thanks Katie! On the rare occasion it is just me for dinner, I have been known to have a bowl of cereal and call it a day :) Thanks for visiting, I always love hearing from you!Delete
Thank you so much for attending week 3 of #PureBlogLove and linking your fantastic blog post. What a gorgeous salad, that dressing sounds delicious and I love the color added by the peppers.ReplyDelete
I can't wait to see what you have in store for our party next week Thursday 8 PM EST- Sundays at midnight . Have a great day!
Thank you Nicole, it does make a beautiful dish for a special occasion table and the leftovers are always good too!Delete
Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on KitchenDreaming.com ! I hope to see you there!ReplyDelete
Looks great! I have a head of broccoli and a half a head of cauliflower to use up and this is probably what they are destined to turn into. Thanks for making my lunch decision that much easier!ReplyDelete
Thank you Emily! I promise it will become a favorite. Thanks for stopping by.Delete
I'm all for cheater recipes. Who has time to spend hours in the kitchen these days?!ReplyDelete
Looks delish. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning :-)
I agree Catherine, simple is sometimes best!Delete
Great salad and I love the whole food approach. Yum! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Fridays. Hope to see you again tomorrow.ReplyDelete
Thank you Shari, this has been a favorite for many years!Delete
I'm pinning this to my Sides & Salads board on Pinterest! This salad would be especially fab for those Summer parties :)ReplyDelete